Thursday, January 29, 2009

A sign of the times

I wish I had a photo to go along with this post because the visual on it is pretty powerful.

This morning I was running late for work, due to Jazz missing the bus. (She was in the bathroom, but when you gotta go, you gotta go) Anyway, took Jazz to school and was heading in. I drive the same route 99.9 % of the time, albeit usually a few mintues eariler. Today I saw something that at first glance was very sweet, and then very sad.

Three dads standing at the bus stop with their kids. "Aww" I thought. How cool that those dads are so involved, yada yada yada. Then, after a moment of thought, I realize that there is a good chance that each of them are layed off.

In this economy it can happen to anybody. It happened to my brother in law a few weeks ago. He's still not sure what the next step is for him. We have a friend who works for a car manufacturer who's not sure how long he will be back at work. Another friend who's in construction has worked less than 3 months out of the past 15.

So, I hope that...well, I don't really know what I hope. I hope that those that are looking are able to find a job. I hope that Obama can help turn things around.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I agree! Something needs to be done. FAST!